When you go to the effort to promote any cause visibly on your own property it demonstrates a passion for what you believe that can’t be conveyed by other means. The simple act of creating a permanent reminder, visible to your friends, neighbors, and passersby can potentially have a bigger impact than anything you do to reduce your personal contribution to climate change. When people know what their friends and neighbors think, they start to rethink things themselves. Eventually that will lead to the political will for serious action on climate change.
What should you put on your sign? It would be great to point people to a website such as www.IWillTry.org for more information, but it’s certainly not necessary. You can display any message you like that expresses your concern and inspires action. I created a simple wooden sign for display in my garden as follows:
|1. Cut a piece of wood to a nice size. If you have a router, add a nice profile to the edges. Print your text on the sign with a black felt pen. Then stain the wood with the stain of your choice (or none at all).||2. After a few minutes, wipe off the excess stain with a rag and allow the sign to dry for an hour or so. Then brush on a thick coat of outdoor polyurethane and allow the sign to dry overnight.||3. Nail a sign post to the back and insert your sign in the location of your choice.|
Here are a few additional words of advice:
1. If you’re promoting a website, be vague and intriguing. A viewer is more likely to visit a website out of curiosity after seeing a sign that says “www.IWillTry.org – Will you?” than out of a sense of moral obligation after seeing a sign that says “www.IWillTry.org – Help stop global warming!”.
2. Be visible but not obtrusive. You want something your neighbors and visitors will notice, and be intrigued by, but that they won’t be annoyed by if they have to see it every day.
3. If your sign will be placed outside, make sure it will stand up to the elements. Some possibilities are:
- concrete stepping stone with letters embedded
- painted wooden sign
- painted garden stone
- wooden plaque with text burned into it
4. Your creation will be all the more intriguing and influential if it is unique. Express your creativity.
Originally posted at www.IWillTry.org.